
"A year after Toronto staff sent a cease and desist to a man who built several tiny mobile homes for those experiencing homelessness, the city is moving closer to embracing micro shelters with its own potential pilot project. Until Thursday, the city was accepting proposals for a two-year micro shelter pilot project, to be part of the city's 10-year plan to deal with homelessness."
"While he's glad to see the city bring an open mind to the transitional housing solution, Donais says the requirement that applicants come forward with land as part of their application is not realistic. I think the only way this works is when the city uses their land, Donais said in an interview with CBC Toronto. It's completely unreasonable to rent land when the city has vacant land that they can use."
"But the city says it looked. According to spokesperson Elise von Scheel, the city spent a year evaluating 44 different sites and determined none met the size and location criteria for a micro shelter community. Additionally, she said, staff found a micro shelter program would delay the construction of other housing projects that would serve a large number of people."
Toronto is preparing a two-year micro shelter pilot project as part of a 10-year homelessness plan, with applications recently accepted. Applicants include Ryan Donais and his non-profit Tiny Tiny Homes, who previously received a cease and desist order after placing micro shelters in St. James Park but later coordinated relocations. The city requires applicants to include land in proposals; Donais says that is unrealistic and urges the city to use vacant municipal land. City staff report evaluating 44 sites over a year and finding none that meet size and location criteria, and warn a micro shelter program could delay larger housing projects.
Read at www.cbc.ca
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]