SOS flare from shipwrecked mariner may have sparked 16,000-acre fire on Santa Rosa Island, USCG says
Briefly

SOS flare from shipwrecked mariner may have sparked 16,000-acre fire on Santa Rosa Island, USCG says
"A 67-year-old man's sailboat crashed into the rocks on the island, according to the Coast Guard. He reportedly fired emergency flares to signal for help, and that's what investigators believe sparked the blaze. A Coast Guard crew successfully rescued the man on Saturday morning after he spent the night stranded on the island. He was not injured."
"The U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Ventura shared photos of the shipwrecked man and his SOS signal on the island. Another photo shows the burning wildfire. While officials believe the emergency flares may have sparked the blaze, the exact cause of the fire is still under investigation."
"Now, the wildfire has grown to more than 16,000 acres. So far, the fire has destroyed three buildings, officials say. Santa Rosa Island is closed to public use until further notice. Santa Rosa Island is part of Channel Islands National Park."
A 67-year-old man’s sailboat crashed into rocks on Santa Rosa Island, part of Channel Islands National Park. The U.S. Coast Guard reported that the man fired emergency flares to signal for help, and investigators believe the flares may have sparked the wildfire. Coast Guard crews rescued him Saturday morning after he spent the night stranded; he was not injured. The wildfire has grown to more than 16,000 acres. Officials said three buildings have been destroyed. Santa Rosa Island is closed to public use until further notice. The exact cause remains under investigation.
Read at ABC7 Los Angeles
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]