Deal keeps Moffett Field Commissary open at least two more years
Briefly

Deal keeps Moffett Field Commissary open at least two more years
"A deal will keep the Moffett Field Commissary open for at least two more years, South Bay Democrat Rep. Sam Liccardo's office said Wednesday, preserving a key source of low-cost groceries for veterans while a long-term solution is explored. The agreement keeps the commissary operating through at least 2028, with an option to renew in 2029. Without a new lease, it had been slated to close this year a move that would have left thousands of South Bay and Peninsula veterans without nearby affordable groceries. The next closest commissaries are at Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield and in Monterey."
"Liccardo said he met Feb. 2 with Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA) Director John Hall to discuss extending the lease. On Feb. 13, DeCA and NASA, which manages the property, finalized the agreement, his office said. This news organization has reached out to DeCA for additional details and had not received a response as of press time. The commissary operates out of Buildings 12 and 13 at Moffett Field, which has been managed by NASA since 1994. Late last year, veterans' families raised concerns about a potential closure and circulated a petition urging officials to keep the store open."
A lease extension will keep the Moffett Field Commissary operating through at least 2028, with an option to renew in 2029. The commissary had been slated to close this year without a new lease, which would have forced thousands of South Bay and Peninsula veterans to travel to Travis Air Force Base or Monterey for commissary access. Rep. Sam Liccardo met with DeCA leadership and DeCA and NASA finalized the agreement on Feb. 13. Veterans’ families circulated a petition with over 2,000 signatures and community members expressed relief while urging a long-term solution.
Read at www.mercurynews.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]