Free MBTA bus program extended - for now
Briefly

Free MBTA bus program extended - for now
"Routes 23, 28, and 29 - which run through Mattapan, Dorchester, and Roxbury - have been free since March 2022, when Mayor Michelle Wu launched the initiative using $8 million in federal pandemic relief funds. Wu extended the program for another two years in February 2024, again using federal COVID-19 money to reimburse the MBTA about $340,000 per month through early March."
"City officials told the Globe that not all of the previously allocated federal funds have been spent, leaving enough to continue the pilot through June. However, what's next for the program remains unclear. Wu's office told the outlet Friday that officials are "discussing the long-term future of the program with the MBTA.""
"MBTA General Manager Phil Eng told the Globe the agency has been "pleased to be able to support the City of Boston's program," but he did not indicate whether the T would help fund it beyond June. Wu had previously expressed hope that the pilot's success would encourage the cash-strapped T to expand fare-free service."
Boston will cover costs to keep three MBTA bus routes fare-free through the end of June, temporarily extending a pilot that faced funding expiration. Routes 23, 28, and 29 have been free since March 2022 after an $8 million federal pandemic relief allocation and received a February 2024 extension via federal COVID-19 reimbursements of about $340,000 per month. Remaining federal funds are sufficient to continue the pilot through June. City officials and the MBTA are discussing long-term funding options, but no commitment has been made for support beyond June.
Read at Boston.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]