Philippines orders senator's arrest over ICC charges
Briefly

Philippines orders senator's arrest over ICC charges
Philippine law enforcement agencies were ordered to arrest Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa after the Supreme Court rejected his bid for a temporary restraining order. Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida said the warrant should be enforced and that dela Rosa is considered a fugitive who should face charges before the International Criminal Court. The ICC unsealed an arrest warrant accusing dela Rosa, along with Rodrigo Duterte and other co-perpetrators, of crimes against humanity of murder. The accusations relate to a deadly crackdown on drugs in which thousands of suspected dealers and users were killed in police operations and other attacks attributed to vigilantes and turf wars. Dela Rosa denied involvement in unlawful killings and urged supporters and uniformed personnel to resist any transfer to The Hague.
"The Philippine government on Thursday ordered law enforcement agencies to arrest Senator Ronald dela Rosa, who is wanted by the ICC over his role in former president Rodrigo Duterte's deadly "war on drugs" campaign. Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida told reporters that Philippine law enforcement agencies "are now tasked to effect the arrest of Senator Ronald 'Bato' dela Rosa." He is better known by his nickname "Bato," meaning "Rock.""
"The government order to enforce the warrant came after the Philippine Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected dela Rosa's bid for a temporary restraining order. Vida said the former police chief was now considered a fugitive who should face charges before the International Criminal Court (ICC). What is Bato accused of? The ICC last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Dela Rosa, accused along with Duterte and other "co-perpetrators" of the crime against humanity of murder."
"He was Duterte's top enforcer of a bloody crackdown during the deadly campaign against drugs which saw thousands of suspected drug dealers and users were killed in police operations and other attacks, which the authorities blamed on vigilantes and turf wars. After his stint as the national police chief from 2016 to 2018, he was elected to two successive six-year terms in the senate. He has denied involvement in unlawful killings."
"Gunshots heard at Philippine Senate Last week, Dela Rosa, who had been sheltering in his senate office, said his arrest was imminent and called on supporters to mobilize to block any attempt to transfer him to The Hague to face charges of crimes against humanity. He urged his "fellow men in uniform" and former classmates at the Philippine Military Academy to "express their sentiment" that President Ferdinand Marcos's government should not hand him "over to for"
Read at www.dw.com
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]