Who's Lining Up for a Cut of Trump's Big New Slush Fund
Briefly

Who's Lining Up for a Cut of Trump's Big New Slush Fund
The Justice Department announced an Anti-Weaponization Fund totaling $1.776 billion, funded through a settlement involving the President’s lawsuit against the IRS. The money is intended to redress claims by alleged victims of “weaponization and lawfare,” though the exact allocation process and recipients are not yet fully defined. Michael Caputo, a former Trump ally and former HHS spokesman, submitted a written request seeking restitution from the fund. Caputo cited the FBI’s “Crossfire Hurricane” investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and described long-term personal and financial harm. The fund will be led by five members appointed by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, who will establish a systematic process for hearing and redressing claims. Critics and legal experts questioned whether the structure could favor Trump-aligned figures.
"The Justice Department said on Monday that the fund will be led by five members appointed by Blanche, who will “provide a systematic process to hear and redress claims of others who suffered weaponization and lawfare.” But critics and legal experts raised concerns that the entity would likely lend itself to payments to Trump-aligned figures, critiques that Blanche himself did not allay."
"Michael Caputo, who previously served as the top spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services during Trump's first term, has issued a written request to the Justice Department seeking restitution from the new fund. NBC News notes that Caputo is the first known person to file a claim."
"Caputo laid out his request in a letter to Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, writing that he was a target of the FBI's “Crossfire Hurricane” investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. “The machinery of government was clearly politically weaponized against my family from July 2016 to December 2025. This nine-year assault drained our savings, destroyed our peace of mind, ruined my career, wrecked my health, and wreaked far more havoc on our family. They found nothing; we lost everything,” Caputo said."
"The $1.776 billion fund quickly sparked allegations of corruption and questions regarding its legality. It is not yet clear where this money, will go, exactly, but at least one former Trump ally has already made his desire for compensation known."
Read at Intelligencer
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]