""Without ever talking to me, the corporation put out this press release," Colbert said as he held up a document. He called the statement "a surprisingly small piece of paper considering how many butts it's trying to cover," and explained that "I was told, in some uncertain terms, that not only could I not have [Talarico] on. I could not mention me not having him on.""
""I really don't want an adversarial relationship with the network. I've never had one," Colbert told his audience on Tuesday night's show. "I'm just so surprised that this giant global corporation would not stand up to these bullies. Come on, you're Paramount! No, you're more than that. You're Paramount+. Plus what? I guess we're all going to find out pretty soon.""
Stephen Colbert revealed that a planned interview with Democratic Texas State Representative James Talarico, a U.S. Senate candidate, would not air. CBS reportedly barred the segment because new FCC rulings require talk shows to give equal airtime to both candidates. Colbert said the corporation issued a press release without consulting him and that he was told he could neither host Talarico nor mention that decision. CBS had previously declined to renew The Late Show, a move Paramount called a financial decision. The FCC also opened an investigation into ABC's The View for airing an interview with Talarico.
Read at Esquire
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]