NYU Langone ends gender-affirming care for youth
Briefly

NYU Langone ends gender-affirming care for youth
""Given the recent departure of our medical director, coupled with the current regulatory environment, we made the difficult decision to discontinue our Transgender Youth Health Program," Steve Ritea, senior director of media relations at NYU Langone, told Gay City News. "We are committed to helping patients in our care manage this change. This does not impact our pediatric mental health care programs, which will continue.""
"The hospital's decision to end the program, which was first reported by the New York Times, comes almost exactly one year after NYU Langone and several other private hospitals moved to cancel appointments for new youth patients or otherwise withhold care to transgender youth in response to an executive order from the Trump administration. The executive order called to restrict federal funds for providers offering gender-affirming care for individuals under the age of 19."
NYU Langone shut down its youth gender-affirming care program on Feb. 18. The hospital cited the recent departure of its medical director and the current regulatory environment as reasons for discontinuing the Transgender Youth Health Program. The hospital said ongoing pediatric mental health services will continue and committed to helping affected patients manage the change. The shutdown follows similar pauses by private hospitals last year after a Trump administration executive order sought to restrict federal funding for gender-affirming care for individuals under 19. The White House later proposed rules to bar Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP funding for gender-affirming care for minors. Local LGBTQIA+ leaders condemned the move.
Read at Gay City News
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]