
Immigrant rights and health advocates rallied at the state Capitol to oppose Gov. Gavin Newsom’s plan to reduce Medi-Cal access for undocumented residents. The proposal would require monthly premiums for undocumented immigrants receiving Medi-Cal coverage and would continue blocking new adult applications, maintaining an enrollment freeze imposed the prior year. Speakers warned the changes would force families to choose between medical care and basic needs, with refugees, older adults, and people with disabilities described as especially vulnerable. A separate Capitol event also criticized looming federal safety-net cuts tied to a Trump-era law and urged $500 million in new support for public hospitals.
"Human rights advocates on Tuesday rallied outside the state Capitol to push back on Gov. Gavin Newsom's proposed budget plan to reduce state-sponsored healthcare coverage for undocumented immigrants. "We are here to demand a budget that protects California's values," said Kiran Savage-Sangwan, executive director of California Pan-Ethnic Health Network. "We are fighting for a budget that rejects Medi-Cal cuts, seeks new revenues and strengthens our safety net reserve to keep families whole.""
"Newsom last week unveiled his revised budget proposal, which would further move away from his previous policy to provide free healthcare coverage to all low-income undocumented immigrants. His proposal would require monthly premiums for undocumented immigrants receiving coverage from Medi-Cal, the state's version of the federal Medicaid program. It would also continue to block new adult applications, a cutback imposed last year."
"The governor has explained that his original policy was more costly than expected and that difficult decisions must be made as the state could soon face an economic downturn. Speakers at Tuesday's rally argued this was unacceptable. The cuts would force many immigrants to choose between putting food on the table or visiting a doctor, said Savage-Sangwan."
"At a separate Capitol event, lawmakers and healthcare workers decried billions in looming federal safety-net cuts tied to a Trump-era law and urged $500 million in new support for public hospitals. Speakers warned cuts would force families to choose between medical care and basic needs, leaving refugees, older adults and people with disabilities especially vulnerable."
Read at Los Angeles Times
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]