
"Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, Lyon prosecutor Thierry Dran said that he requested the suspects remain in custody, notably due to the "risk of disturbance to public order". Of the seven people, aged between 20 and 26, for whom he is seeking murder charges only two have previous criminal records. One has already been sentenced for violence and drug use by the juvenile court, and the other has been sentenced by the Lyon correctional court for theft and carrying weapons."
"He added: "One of the defendants is currently under judicial supervision (...) as a result of the racially, ethnically or religiously aggravated violence". Three of the seven suspects "claim to have been part of, or close to, the ultra-left movement", he said. He added that of the 11 people arrested, four of them - three men and a woman - have been released pending further enquiries."
"Quentin was attacked in Lyon on Thursday shortly after a protest over a political meeting in Lyon - the protest had been organised by the far right group Nemesis, who said that Quentin was a group member who was providing security for the event. Witnesses have described a clash between far right and far left groups, and Quentin being attacked by at least six people. His parents on Thursday appealed for calm, and said they will not be taking part in a march organised in Lyon on Saturday."
A prosecutor requested intentional homicide charges against seven men following the fatal beating of 23-year-old far-right activist Quentin Deranque in Lyon. The prosecutor sought that the suspects remain in custody because of the risk of disturbance to public order. The seven suspects are aged between 20 and 26; only two have previous criminal records, one with juvenile sentences for violence and drug use and another with convictions for theft and carrying weapons. One defendant is under judicial supervision for racially, ethnically or religiously aggravated violence. Three suspects claim ties to or proximity to the ultra-left movement. Eleven people were arrested in total; four have been released pending further enquiries. The attack occurred shortly after a protest organised by far-right group Nemesis, with witnesses describing clashes between far-right and far-left groups and an assault by at least six people. The victim's parents appealed for calm and will not attend a planned march.
Read at The Local France
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]