
"The change announced by Minister of Colleges and Universities Nolan Quinn on Feb. 12 means that starting this fall, the amount of money eligible students can receive in the form of Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) grants will decrease from a maximum of 85 per cent to 25 per cent. For example, if a student eligible for the maximum OSAP grant is paying $10,000 for tuition, they would previously be eligible to get $8,500 in grants that they wouldn't have to pay back."
"Move discourages' getting an education: student Shan said he accepted admission to the University of Toronto just a day before the OSAP cuts were announced. Before the changes, he said he was eligible for $11,000 in OSAP grants and $11,000 as loans. Now, he's not sure how much grant money if any he'll get. I think this actually discourages people to study [and] to continue their studies in university, said Shan. It actually encourages people to find a job rather than keep studying."
The province announced that starting this fall Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) grants will be reduced from a maximum of 85 per cent to 25 per cent of allowable costs. Minister of Colleges and Universities Nolan Quinn made the change public on Feb. 12. A student paying $10,000 in tuition who formerly qualified for $8,500 in grants would now qualify for only $2,500. Incoming and current post-secondary students expressed concern that the reduction will increase debt burdens and strain household finances. Students warned the change may discourage some people from pursuing or continuing post-secondary education and push them toward work instead of study.
Read at www.cbc.ca
Unable to calculate read time
Collection
[
|
...
]