ANALYSIS | Ontario's Liberals were just gaining popularity. Now a nomination controversy could hurt their brand: experts | CBC News
Briefly

ANALYSIS | Ontario's Liberals were just gaining popularity. Now a nomination controversy could hurt their brand: experts | CBC News
"A heated race to represent the Liberals in the upcoming Scarborough-Southwest byelection will end up in front of a party arbitration committee on Wednesday. The committee is investigating allegations by federal MP Nate Erskine-Smith about voter ID issues during the recent nomination contest. Entrepreneur Ahsanul Hafiz won the nomination by 19 votes and Erskine-Smith has alleged that the party establishment actively worked against him."
"That's led to fractious debate amongst provincial Liberals over Erskine-Smith's candidacy, whether the race was fair and what it means for the party's ongoing leadership race. Liberal strategist Andrew Perez said he's confident the party will come to a fair conclusion during the arbitration, but the controversy pulls focus from a rebuild that has been underway for years. There's no way to spin it, he said. It's an unhelpful distraction at a critical time."
"The Ontario Liberal Party has finished third in three straight elections after a devastating defeat in 2018 that left them with only seven seats and without official party status. Since then, the party has had two different leaders and has launched its third leadership race since 2020. But the Liberals made gains in the 2025 provincial election, increasing their share of the popular vote, capturing 14 seats, regaining official party status and the resources that come with it."
A nomination controversy in Ontario’s Liberal Party is headed to a party arbitration committee for resolution. The committee will investigate allegations by federal MP Nate Erskine-Smith about voter ID issues during the Scarborough-Southwest nomination contest. The race will be decided on Wednesday after a heated contest in which entrepreneur Ahsanul Hafiz won by 19 votes. Erskine-Smith alleges the party establishment worked against him, prompting debate among provincial Liberals about whether the process was fair and what the outcome means for the party’s leadership race. Liberal strategist Andrew Perez expects a fair conclusion but says the dispute is an unhelpful distraction during a critical period as the party rebuild continues.
Read at www.cbc.ca
Unable to calculate read time
[
|
]